Document Type : Original Article
Psychosocial Injuries Research Center, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran
Department of Psychology, Non-Communicable Diseases Research Center, Ilam University of Medical Sciences, Ilam, Iran
Background: Suicide is a complicated multifactorial phenomenon. Researchers have attempted to identify the reasons for suicide in different communities. The present study aimed to identify and scrutinize the risk factors for suicide among hospitalized patients.
Methods: This qualitative grounded theory study was conducted using in-depth interviews with 53 hospitalized patients in Mostafa Hospital in Ilam, Iran in 2021. Semi-open questions were asked by a psychologist. The interviews continued until reaching the saturation point and achieving the specific objectives of the study. Finally, coding was performed using the grounded theory method.
Results: A history of suicide attempts was reported by almost two-thirds of the individuals. The results of the primary coding of the items showed that the most important categories paving the path for committing suicide were social, financial, and family factors.
Conclusion: According to the results of the present study, the most important causal conditions contributing to suicide attempts were psychological factors, addiction and its related problems, divorce and its related problems, and love failure.
Yousef Veisani (Google Scholar) (PubMed)
Fathola Mohamadian (Google Scholar) (PubMed)
- Cha CB, Franz PJ, E MG, Glenn CR, Kleiman EM, Nock MK. Annual research review: suicide among youth - epidemiology, (potential) etiology, and treatment. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2018;59(4):460-82. doi: 1111/jcpp.12831.
- Veisani Y, Mohamadian F, Delpisheh A. Prevalence and comorbidity of common mental disorders and associations with suicidal ideation in the adult population. Epidemiol Health. 2017;39:e2017031. doi: 4178/epih.e2017031.
- Hubers AAM, Moaddine S, Peersmann SHM, Stijnen T, van Duijn E, van der Mast RC, et al. Suicidal ideation and subsequent completed suicide in both psychiatric and non-psychiatric populations: a meta-analysis. Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2018;27(2):186-98. doi: 1017/s2045796016001049.
- Canetto SS. Language, culture, gender, and intersectionalities in suicide theory, research, and prevention: challenges and changes. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2021;51(6):1045-54. doi: 1111/sltb.12758.
- Safiri K, Rezaeinasab Z. Qualitative study of the phenomenon of self-immolation in Ilam. Quarterly Journal of Woman and Society. 2016;7(25):123-42. [Persian].
- Shakeri A, Jafarizadeh F. The reasons for successful suicides in Fars province. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2013;22(97):271-5. [Persian].
- Moosavi F, Sajadi H, Rafiei H, Feizi A. Familial factors related to attempted suicide. Social Welfare. 2008;7(27):53-72. [Persian].
- Khanipour H, Borjali A, Golzari M, Falsafinejad MR, Hakim-Shushtari M. Self-harm in adolescents with delinquency and history of mood disorder: a qualitative research. J Qual Res Health Sci. 2020;2(3):195-207. [Persian].
- Mirzaei HR, Samadi Rad A, Majidi Parast S. Study of the psychosocial outcomes of being transsexual in Iran. J Qual Res Health Sci. 2020;8(1):57-67. [Persian].
- Hoseini SS, Seydi MS, Golmohamadian M. Identifying the causes of self-harm in adolescent girls in the socio-cultural context of Kermanshah. J Qual Res Health Sci. 2021;10(1):321-7. doi: 22062/jqr.2021.91595.
- Hemati N, Danesh Amouz B, Panaghi L. Frequency of suicidal ideation in high school students in Abdanan, Ilam province. Advances in Cognitive Sciences. 2004;6(1):79-86. [Persian].
- Kheirabadi GR, Hashemi SJ, Akbaripour S, Salehi M, Maracy MR. Risk factors of suicide reattempt in patients admitted to Khorshid Hospital, Isfahan, Iran, 2009. Iran J Epidemiol. 2012;8(3):39-46. [Persian].
- Bakhtar M, Rezaeian M. A survey on the suicidal behavior in Iranian military forces: a systematic review study. J Rafsanjan Univ Med Sci. 2018;16(11):1065-80. [Persian].
- Shaker SH, Hosseini Kasnaviyyeh SM, Basir Ghafouri H, Tavakkoli N, Yasinzadeh M, Masoumi G, et al. Epidemiological survey of the attempted suicide patients admitted at Hazrat Rasoul Hospital in Tehran 2007-2011. Iran J Forensic Med. 2017;23(1):7-15. [Persian].
- Kiani A, Fatehizadeh M, Ghasemi N. A quantitative study of family factors that interfere with suicide attempters. J Res Behav Sci. 2013;11(4):245-51. [Persian].
- Nazarzadeh M, Bidel Z, Ayubi E, Soori H, Sayehmiri K. Factors related to suicide attempt in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hakim Res J. 2013;15(4):352-63. [Persian].
- Golchin M, Ahmadi M, Soleymani S, Seyedi F. The narrative of suicide from the perspective of actors: a study of the contexts, causes and consequences. Journal of Social Problems of Iran. 2020;10(2):271-98. [Persian].
- Emad Y, Hadianfard H. Forecasting suicide based on sexuality, marital status, coping strategies, religious orientation, and depression rate. Iran J Psychiatry Clin Psychol. 2019;25(2):178-93. [Persian].